Experience and Education Guidelines: Any combination equivalent to experience and education that would most likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Education: High school diploma or legal equivalent (GED)
- Experience: Must be eligible to attend a State of California POST certified Basic Police Academy or currently enrolled in one.
Candidates must submit ONE of the following in order to be considered:
1. California POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) “T-score” of 45 points or higher dated within one year of application. NOTE: California POST “T-scores” from other agencies will be accepted if it has been taken within one year of the date you submit your City of San Leandro application. Applicants must submit, on agency letterhead, a letter that states that individual has taken the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) written exam. The letter must contain the total “T-score” and the date of the test. For information on where the PELLETB test is offered, please visit www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests.
2. A passing NTN score. For information on where the NTN test is offered, please visit https://nationaltestingnetwork.com/publicsafetyjobs/index.cfm.
ALL candidates must submit the following test certificate in order to be considered:
1. California POST physical agility test certificate, known as the Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB), with a score of 384 or higher and a 14-minute maximum time for the 1.5 mile run, dated within one year of application. For information on where the WSTB test is offered, please visit www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests.
1. Application Review
All applications will first be reviewed for minimum qualifications. A limited number of the best qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
2. Structured Interview and/or Practical Exercise
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on each weighted part in order to be placed on the Eligible List. Interviews will be conducted on a continual basis. (Weighted 100%)
3. Departmental Interview
Top scoring candidates on the Eligible List will be invited to interview with the department hiring manager and/or team members. This date is to be determined.
4. Job Offer
The selected candidate will receive a conditional job offer, subject to passing pre-employment conditions which may include, but is not limited to, background check, criminal history check, medical, and verification of a valid California driver’s license. If a pre-employment condition is not successfully met, the City reserves the right to rescind a job offer.